Here’s our weekly review rounding up the best stories and ideas in public space from cities around the world. This week we bring you Seattle’s colourful road ahead, a water and solar powered device that’s cleaning Baltimore’s harbor and Chicago’s landmarks all lit up.
- A colourful road ahead for Seattle
- Seattle’s Department of Trandportation’s Public Space Management Program makes it easy for people to use their streets in new and creative ways. A pilot program “Play Streets” kicks off this spring and offer an opportunity for the community to take back a neighborhood street. (via Seattle.gov)
- Cleaning Baltimore’s Harbour
- In an attempt to make Baltimore’s harbor clean enough for swimming and fishing by 2020, the city is taking a chance on a solar-powered wheel attached to a dumpster to make it happen.The 14-foot “water wheel” works by sucking up trash as it enters the harbour. (via CityLab)
- Lighting Up Chicago
- This selection of landmarks light up the city of Chicago in more ways than one. Check out a list of Chi-Town’s 15 illuminating urban wonders. (via Buzz Feed)
Photo by aussiegall from Flickr CC